Sunday, 23 November 2014

Life gets turned upside down...

This might be my last post for a while, we have to move out of our current accommodation quickly, which will mean everything getting packed and put away, an no internet for a while.
I have also been ill, which would normally mean more posts, but vertigo isn't like that... damn it.

So on to this update.
Continuing my experiments in painting, filters and washes here are two brute from the legion army of heretics.

Very simple techniques were employed here, one colour spray undercoat, one in red one in light brown, wash in dark brown acrylic on both, allow to dry. pick out the skin tones, one flat colour, allow to dry. Then add oil based filters, these were applied quite heavily, allowed to dry for a bit, with oils this is a substantial time, and something acrylics wouldn't allow. Then with a damp brush, with some turpentine, reverse dry brush, this removes some of the overly heavy wash/filter, as can been seen on the armour plates quite easily.
Next I picked out the blue sashes, this was done with the filter still 'damp' and allows for wet blending I think, but I'm not sure, the effect achieved was with one thin layer of acrylic, over the oil filter. No acrylic blending was used. I then fixed that layer with a matt varnish, and picked out the metal details and leathers.
Very pleased with the over all effect.


Same techniques applied here, washes filters and anti-dry-brushing. Not bad for a mornings work :)
So glad to have a team ready for our groups revisiting of this great game.

(Not biased at all, wasn't a national finalist, nope :D)

Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Sisters getting ready for Battle.

 This is less of a tutorial more a diary of what I did to get to where I finished up. If you learn anything from this I would be surprised, but anything is possible.

Under-coated with a dark brown ink wash to bring out the details, and help create the shadows.


Simple next stage, get all the flesh blocked in.


Again just simple blocking out of colours.


A little more thought went into the painting of the armour, this is to be an off white when finished, so a dirty cream for a base block colour.

Armour skirts.

Soft shadows on the scale maile skirts, a mid grey ink wash, helps with the definition of the scales.


I used a reference picture from the interwebs, to get the ratio of hair colours, I always struggle to know what colours to use for a unit and it then devolves into just one colour, usually brown...

I used thin paints and used multiple layers in smaller areas until the colour I desired was reached.


Browns... lots of different shades of brown, with the new wet palette I was using, this was easy, keep the paint wet, allowing subtle changes almost constantly while painting all the figure in one go.

So a little jump from the last set to, this group, I have highlighted the scales just once up-to, white, washed the tunics in a turquoise blue. I've painted and highlighted the metallics, putting my first attempts of heat damage on these too.

The bases and boots have had the oil filter treatments, and I think this helps them gel quite well.

 Again all WIP and C&C welcome.

Oil Filters?

So in my journey to better my painting skills I have tried filters, these are one with oils and a lot of thinners. The first guys, one of my favourite Ogres from the Old Hammer Club, was over highlighted, to an almost pastel finish, really should have done before an after shots for all these... live and learn.

I will probably strip and re paint, but I love the way the wood and leather have turned out, with just two filters applied.

I passed this figure over many years ago, I guess he wasn't heroic enough, but when I stumbled across him again recently, I just had to have him as a Nurgle infected priest. But he was mainly white, so I applied filters, yup the dirty robe is all one with filters, about 3/4 different brown tones.

The base is also just filters, it was white plaster and grey basing stones, now looking more like dirty mud, and effluence...

Definitely something I will continue to experiment with.